Friday, March 21, 2008

Support Group Frustration!

Living in a small town, it is hard to find a good support group here.
Everyone knows that children need socialization (which...as the saying goes "I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my child"...I'll get more into socialization myths later). The best way to do this is with support groups filled with other local homeschoolers. And you also have avenues such as groups (boy/girl scouts, library groups, 4H) as well as lessons (dance, karate, music) and sports teams (and no...you don't have to be in public schools to participate!). But I still would like to find a nice local support group.
They can range from monthly meetings where the kids get together for field trips or bowling days to weekly coop groups where the mothers each teach a class.
I have two problems, my first is that all of the groups here are AT LEAST an hour away! But, having said that, I will also say that I would make the sacrifice and drive that far if I found one I liked. My second problem is that the ones that I have found doesn't suit our needs.
One was a little closer to us but it turns out that their meetings are just for parents...I don't see the point of this. I mean, yeah it would be great to have other homeschool parents to talk to and get support from BUT I want a group for my children's socialization...not my own.
The other one that I have found that I really like is very religious based. I am religious, do not get me wrong, but if I have to sign a statement of faith saying that I go to church (Which I currently don't, I haven't found one I like yet) and then have to worry that I do not say anything against what their denomination believes....it just doesn't work for me.
Why can't we just have a group where denomination isn't an issue? Can't we all just get along and get together for our kids sakes? I am considering starting such a group where the kids can meet 1 or 2 times a month at a park and just play, just have fun and be with others.
Hopefully all of this will work out. Hopefully we'll find such a group or I'll be able to start our own...only time will tell. Until them...I'm going the club/group route for now. And yes, my children are socialized....they do play well with others. They aren't shy and aren't afraid to say hi and start a conversation with a new child that they just meet.
In my opinion, they were home with me for their entire first 5 years, and they socialize just fine!

No comments: